Friday, May 4, 2012

DIY Dry Shampoo!

So, for my first post, I decided that I would blog about a fabulous recent DIY venture; natural dry shampoo!

Dry shampoo is excellent for styling hair if it has been awhile since your last shower. I have fine hair, so I feel that I must shower every other day or risk greasy wet-looking hair. Dry shampoo will extend your time between showers by another day or two, depending on the thickness of your hair and how you intend to style it  (you shouldn't wash your hair everyday as it will unbalance pH levels, and dry out your hair and skin). Dry shampoo usually comes in an aerosol can, and is sprayed on the roots of your hair to soak up excess grease and dirt, leaving you with more workable hair.

So, you could buy dry shampoo, but lately I've been frugal when it comes to buying certain beauty products as I can usually make them myself naturally and cheaper! Plus, the recent stories about the cosmetic industry not being regulated by the FDA makes me nervous, and a good dry shampoo can be very expensive!

This DIY dry shampoo is so easy, I can almost guarantee you have at least one of these items in your house RIGHT NOW (even better, free!). All you need is:


  • A Small Tupperware container (with lid if you want to keep it for awhile)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda

All you have to do is pour the measured amounts of cornstarch and baking soda in your tupperware container, and voila! DIY Dry shampoo!

NOTE: You can also just use one of these products, however through my experience I find that having both is beneficial. While both ingredients do well by themselves, the baking soda also acts like a deodorizer, and the cornstarch tends to soak up grease a tad better. I like the texture of the powder when both ingredients are used as it feels better to work with.

TO USE:
I like to lift up my hair in layers, sprinkling the 'dry shampoo' lightly at the roots with my fingers (sort of like sprinkling salt over food), then flip my hair upside down, massaging my scalp with my fingertips. Apply more to spots that seem more greasy, like the hairline by your ears and the crown of your head.

The first time I made this, it worked like a charm and help me get rid of that nasty 'wet' look, and gave my hair great texture to work with. Again, with my fine hair I find it extremely hard to backcomb and have it stay in place, but after using this DIY dry shampoo I backcombed my hair like crazy and made the cutest messy bun I have EVER styled! Here it is! So, give it a whirl!


No comments:

Post a Comment